Richmond, Tasmania claims to have Australia's oldest bridge, but this bridge in Campbell Town is well recognised as older. The sign near the bridge reads
"Campbell Town’s first bridge 1822
The foundations of this bridge were part of a causeway which was built to replace the original ford crossing. The causeway linked Bridge Street from the present Lion’s Park to the original Campbell Inn on Tragedy Hill.
It is the oldest bridge in continual use in Australia.
Note the simplicity of this bridge in comparison with the urban design of the Rd Bridge, completed in 1838. This shows how the colony had advanced in sixteen years."